HOMEMADE WHOLE WHEAT BREAD




Last year, one of my  goals was to eat healthier, so I started to make my own pies and cakes. This year, after meetings with friends who are a little more experts on this topic, I tried to bake my own bread at home with organic flours and I'm very proud of the result!




I guess the recipe will change with time (I'll explain you in next posts).

Whole Wheat bread (makes two loaves of about an inch each)

Needed:
  • 600 grams of flour. I used a couple different types of flours but you can totally use all bread flour if you prefer. I mixed 400g of whole  wheat flour and 200g of 4 cereals flour
  • 300 ml.water
  • a tablespoon of active dry yeast  
  • a teaspoon of salt ( i'll try with two the next time) 
  • a teaspoon of olive oil
In a bowl combine the flours, yeast,  oil and salt, and slowly add the water . The water should be warm (be careful not to exceed 40 degrees, or yeast does not rise). Go slowly kneading with your hands until the dough remains compact and doesn't stick to your  fingers, like when you make cookies. Maybe you should be adding more flour or water, you'll see it.

When the dough is ready, cover and let it rise for half an hour in a dry place.

After this time, knead again and give it the shape you want. Then place it in an oven pan (before dipping oil and some flour) and let it rise until the dough has doubled its volume. As it is recommended to let it rest in a dry and warm place, what I did was turn on the oven to a minimum while kneading and turning it off when I put the dough to rest.


When you see the volume has gone up (I left myself about 40 minutes), put the pan in the oven at about 200 degrees for 25 to 35 minutes. I use the wood-burning oven  (my cool new kitchen!) but you can use the regular function.

And that's it, homemade bread, delicious and crunchy!

Next time I'll try with regular flour (I guess it will not be as compact as the whole), by adding oil or milk, or maybe nuts and honey ... Yum!

Bon appetit!

Mònica

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...