SUMMER READING

I'm a non-stop reader and I need to have a book waiting for me before I finish the one that I'm reading.  I had planned to write a single post for each book, but time passes and they are accumulating on my bedside table, so here it goes, three books for the price of one!

The first book is "Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card. 


"In order to develop a secure defense against a hostile alien race's next attack, government agencies breed child geniuses and train them as soldiers. A brilliant young boy, Andrew "Ender" Wiggin lives with his kind but distant parents, his sadistic brother Peter, and the person he loves more than anyone else, his sister Valentine. Peter and Valentine were candidates for the soldier-training program but didn't make the cut—young Ender is the Wiggin drafted to the orbiting Battle School for rigorous military training."

This is a science fiction novel written  in 1985. I'm not a science fiction lover but this is a classic of this genre and a must read (some people considered it to be the best sci-fi novel ever written).  I really enjoyed reading it,  it's good to know that there are three more books to continue the story!


Next book is "The night circus" by Erin Morgenstern.


"The circus arrives without warning. No announcements precede it. It is simply there, when yesterday it was not. Within the black-and-white striped canvas tents is an utterly unique experience full of breathtaking amazements. It is called Le Cirque des Rêves, and it is only open at night.

But behind the scenes, a fierce competition is underway—a duel between two young magicians, Celia and Marco, who have been trained since childhood expressly for this purpose by their mercurial instructors. Unbeknownst to them, this is a game in which only one can be left standing, and the circus is but the stage for a remarkable battle of imagination and will. Despite themselves, however, Celia and Marco tumble headfirst into love—a deep, magical love that makes the lights flicker and the room grow warm whenever they so much as brush hands."


This book mixes dreamy sceneries, love and magic. It's a love story  but to me this was the least important. What I like the most was the description of the different magic sceneries the lovers create in their competition: the ice garden, the smell boxes, the bonfire... well, I loved The Circus itself.  In fact, I want to go there!! Perfect to read before bed!

And the last one, "Nunca olvides que te quiero"  (Never forget I love you) by Delphine Bertholon


I can't find if there is an english version of this book.  It tells the story of Madison, an 11 year old girl kidnapped when she was going home. Madison writes in her notebook how it feels to be locked, how she misses her family and friends, her experiences as she grows and her strength and perseverance.  I really enjoyed this book! To me is the best of the three even though I postponed the reading for months because I thought It would be really sad! How wrong I was! It's not a sad book, It's a book about hope and strength.


Waiting to read your opinions!!

XOXO



Mònica


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...